Relatively a new technology, but a lot of hype is already surrounded by the Augmented Reality and its applications. The ever evolving technology of augmented reality is not only impressive but also exciting. The ability to overlay digital information in the real world and the view it through camera has uncountable applications.
By definition, Augmented Reality is an indirect view of a real physical world with a computer generated input like sound, video, audio or images. It integrates the digital and user environment by overlaying the digital information on the existing user environment.
On The Go Augmented Reality
Mobile Augmented Reality delivers reality based services and functions through a mobile application which will add value through virtual data and services. This implies that the hardware required for implementing AR is portable. Yet, mobile augmented reality is different from portable augmented reality.
The difference is that mobile fits in your pocket and is with you wherever you go. Most AR applications are cumbersome and are permanent technologies which are impossible to move to new location.
Augmented Reality V/S Virtual Reality
Both virtual reality and augmented reality would 3D high definition audio and video experiences. The difference which is not small is that the virtual reality is an immersive technology where a user becomes a part of an isolated reality. On the other hand, augmented reality is a partially immersive technology.
Virtual reality becomes your eyes and uses displays and lenses. On the other hand, in augmented reality, virtual things are added in the physical world. VR technology would bring the user to another world using Googles or Visors. On the flip side, AR technology takes the current reality and would add an element to it. The major technology giants like Apple are excited about AR technology. Tim Cook, CEO Apple quoting the difference between AR and VR technology.
I’m excited about Augmented Reality because unlike Virtual Reality which closes the world out, AR allows individuals to be present in the world but hopefully allows an improvement on what’s happening presently... That has resonance.
- Tim Cook, CEO, Apple
Mobile augmented reality apps have numerous advantages. Some of them are:
- Portability: As discussed above, mobile technology lets you experience the augmented reality on the go. It can let people bring the required technology along with you wherever you go. Mobile devices will always carry the required technology for AR.
- Low Cost: Numerous augmented reality technology solutions are low cost as compared to the permanent and special technologies.
- Unique Technology: Build your edge before your competitors with augmented reality apps. With limited penetration, it lets you surprise your customers and create the buzz for your products or services.
- A viral technology: Upon receiving a new technology, your customers tend to generate word of mouth publicity. This increases your social sharing and helps you in new customer acquisition.
- Personalization Opportunities: AR technology lets you create a personalised content for your customers. This will be more engaging than the standard content making it possible to reach more people.
- Customer Retention: The exciting and personalised content help you retain the customers easily as it motivates users to interact with the content.
- Increase Sales: AR Technology assists users with the real-time information and adds value to the entire sales cycle. Thus, helping in increasing the sales by interacting with the customers.
Augmented Reality for Businesses
Changing how customers interact with your business, augmented reality technology will have an immense impact. The excitement for mobile AR apps is palpable because the hardware required for AR technology is available with smartphones and tablets.
For example, a user can try clothes without wearing it, or check how a paint colour would look on the wall without painting it. With the acceptance from the customers and investments pouring in, businesses are focusing on leveraging the AR technology.
A few decades ago, Walmart underestimated the potential of the internet. Amazon was able to claim the significant share of the market. The same can happen with the businesses with AR technology.
Major e-commerce shopping is done through mobile phones. Augmented reality apps can give users the confidence they need in order to take the decision for a product. With an in-store experience, augmented reality gives an opportunity to the businesses to create an experience for the customers from the comfort of their home. It has the potential to become a significant part f the entire sales cycle by focusing the needs of customers and goals of the business.
Augmented reality in the manufacturing sector aims to reduce the downtime and make operations more efficient. AR apps would also help in identifying the error if any. It has the potential to increase the shop floor efficiency by multifold. BY viewing the issues in the real time, shop floor team can diagnose and solve the problem on the real time basis. With the application in training, error identification, and maintenance, AR can play a vital role in how manufacturing industry works.
Education and training
Like any other field, augmented reality apps has a potential for education and training field as well. AR apps let students participate and interact with the topics. It helps in better understanding the topics. Engaging them it reinforces the concepts of students. With no investment in the physical materials, the access to the updated information is from the mobile application installed in the smartphone of the student.
Travel and Tourism
Augmented reality makes the experience for travellers more seamless, simple, and interactive. Mobile augmented reality can help you take the virtual tours of the rooms prior to the booking, information is easily accessible, makes it easy for you to find the nearby locations, and can also translate into the local language.
AR and mobile augmented reality technology are still at its infancy stage, yet it is revolutionary in nature. The development of the technology will be rapid.
Today is the best time to develop an app or invest in AR technology for your business and draw customers’ attention. Plutomen Technologies can help you achieve it. Get in touch with us at email@example.com